Friday, May 22, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire - The Book vs The Movie



After reading the Twilight Series, and then seeing the movie, I decided the best way to see movies would be to read the book first. So, since Slumdog Millionaire sounded like it could be a great story, I picked the book up at Walmart a few weeks ago. I began to read it, hoping that the first few paragraphs with foul language would not be the norm for this writer, and we could move on to a great story. Then came more explicit language and descriptions, and I am just not into that kind of reading, so I put the book down feeling pretty disappointed. I made the decision that I really didn't want to watch the movie. I gave the book to my daughter and thought maybe she might like to read it, but even as I handed it to her, I wasn't very encouraging.

After I got home from Oregon, the Blockbuster movies started arriving, and the first one that I opened was...yep, you guessed it, Slumdog Millionaire. It sat here on the table for a couple of days, and finally I asked Al if he wanted to watch it. He thought it would be good, and I admitted that often the movies don't follow the book. I was very pleased that so much of the garbage in the book was left out of the movie. The story line was so much more than the graphic words and description in the book. The movie, although it wasn't to the T of the book, was actually better than the book, in my humble opinion. I definately am glad that I watched the movie.

No comments: