Monday, April 06, 2009

Alameda Fleamarket Fun!!!



I was in the height of glory at the Antiques on the Bay Fleamarket! There were over 800 merchants and there were thousands of people attending. It's every month on the first Sunday of the month.



The pins were what I purchased. I really did well with those rabbits. I bought them at a fraction of what one would have cost to buy online! They will both go into my personal collection. One is signed Karu Fifth Avenue, and is copyrighted 1940. The other one is not signed - because Karu often made jewelry to be sold by lower end department stores. The higher end stores sold the signed jewelry.

The bird pin is not signed, but shows signs of being quality jewelry with the heavy rhodium backing and excellent quality stones (even though they show some black spotting - so I will have to replace them eventually). This pin will also go into my personal collection. There is such a thrill when I find a great peice of jewelry - the "hunt" is so much fun...and then the research of what it is....it's all what collecting is about!


Al had a great time also - he loved seeing all of the old antiques, and loved being on the military base. The fleamarket is held on Alameda Docks near where the USS Hornet (a retired aircraft carrier) is located. The docks were once runways. There is some amazing history in this area! On a side note, this is also near where I was born - nearly 58 years ago this year! Ugh, I think that qualifies me as an antique? Or am I just vintage?

No comments: